$7 flat-rate shipping on $49, Ships FREE over $49.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between the 30A 2 element and the 50A 2 element control panel?

The 30A 2 element control panel can only power one heating element at a time. The 50A 2 element control panel can power both elements simultaneously.

What is the difference between the 50A 2 element control panel and the 50A 4 element control panel?

The 50A 2 element control panel will provide power to two elements, one for the HLT and one for the Boil. The 50A 4 element control panel will provide power to two elements simultaneously, with the option to power one element in the HLT and one element in the Boil, or two elements in either the HLT or the Boil. The 4 element panel is typically used in a 1bbl to 1.5bbl application.

What is the difference between BCS and PID? Which one works better?

BCS, short for Brewery Control System, is a browser controlled brewing setup. It allows for programming of routines and custom processes. It can be controlled via any browser, on tablet, smart phone, or computer. Alternatively, you can control your brewing process using a PID setup, which will have physical PIDs on your control panel. These PIDs will allow you to set temperatures, and will control your elements to keep the measured temperature as close as possible to the desired temperature. The main advantage to using BCS is the ability to monitor and control the brew process from anywhere you have access to the network the BCS controller is set up on, usually a home network. The creation of user defined brew processes is also a major advantage of BCS. BCS will also more easily scale to larger setups, allowing you to grow without necessarily needing a new brewery controller. PID earns points for simplicity and ease of use. It is a good option for those who don’t want to deal with the technical side of things, or want a more hands on, physical approach. It allows you to glance at your control panel to view temperatures, and adjust them on the fly with no other hardware necessary. PID is also a cheaper option.

What is the difference between a RIMS setup and a HERMS setup?

A RIMS setup has a heating element in a tube through which the wort is continually pumped, while HERMS uses a pump to circulate the wort in a coil through the HLT kettle to regulate its temperature. This means that the wort will not make direct contact with a heating element in a HERMS setup, so it is less susceptible to scorching or unwanted caramelization.

I have a 3bbl brewhouse. What panel do you recommend?

Contact us for our commercial products.

Why do I need to run conduit between my two panels in my 3bbl brewhouse? Why can’t I just run a jumper?

I brew with gas right now and I want to take the leap and start going electric. Where should I start?

We recommend that you reach out to us using our Contact Us link with your specific brewing setup and needs so we can make a good recommendation about what electric setup would work best for you.

Are your straight elements Ultra Low Watt Density?


What is the difference between the straight elements and the ripple elements?

Functionally there is no difference. Some claim that the ripple elements heat faster, due to a higher surface area contacting the liquid, but the benefit will be fairly small. The straight element will be easier to clean, when compared to the ripple.

What is the difference between the 4500W, the 5500W and the 6000W elements?

Higher wattage elements allow you to heat a larger volume of water, faster, but will require more amperage in your control panel to push out those higher wattages. This is especially true when you want to power multiple elements at once.

Can I use a 6000W element with a BIAB panel so my water and wort will boil faster?

Yes, you can.

What is the difference between the 240V element and the 208V element?

240V elements are typically used for single phase setups, while 208V elements are usually used in three phase setups.

Do you ship to other countries?

Yes! But as an international customer, you will be responsible for any customs or duty taxes.

Why do you have a clause saying the shipping to Alaska and Hawaii is more? Why can’t I use the $5 flat freight?

Our costs to ship to Alaska and Hawaii are significantly more, so we have to charge more for shipping to those states outside the continental US.

Can I use my control panel for fermentation control?

Yes, a BCS 482 controller generally supports four probes for the brew process, and an additional four probes to monitor fermentation temperatures. Because our default design is to include XLR ports for the four temperature sensors, we use an ethernet expansion port that will connect to a dedicated expansion panel that will allow you to plug in the fermentation sensors.

Why should I buy my LEDs and switches from you and not Ebay? Ebay is cheaper, why do you cost more?

Our LEDs and switches have the benefit of being used in our own builds, so we have extensively tested them. In addition, we have a 90 day warranty on our LEDs and switches, in case of manufacturing errors.

What is the lead time on a fully assembled control panel?

This is highly dependent on our current workload, and will vary seasonally. During slow periods, you can expect a turnaround of two to four weeks. During busier seasons you can expect a turnaround time of closer to four to eight weeks. We’re happy to update you on your build status if you ask during the build process.

What is the difference between Electric Brewing Supply and TheElectricBrewery.com?

Electric Brewing Supply and TheElectricBrewery.com are completely separate companies, with different ownership and different product lineups. We are Electric Brewing Supply.

What do I need extra NO and NC blocks for?

Extra NO and NC blocks allow you to use switches for different functionality. For instance, putting a NO and NC block on a two way switch will allow you to move from a simple on/off switch into a selector between two different pieces of hardware, or two different processes. NO stands for normally open, and NC stands for normally closed.

What is the difference between the Heat sink for SSR and the Small and Large Heat sinks? When do you need the bigger heat sink?

The Heat sink for SSR is our smallest heat sink, which you mount the SSR directly to, and then mount to DIN rail. The Small and Large Heat sinks are mounted to the enclosure itself. Small Heat sinks are normally used for our 300mm by 300mm enclosures, and our Large Heat sinks are normally used for our 400mm by 400mm and 600mm by 500mm enclosures. They are differentiated by their ability to disperse heat. The Heat sink for SSR is too small to be of use for anything other than a single SSR. The Small and Large Heat sinks, because they are mounted to the enclosure, will disperse heat much more effectively. They differ in the size, with the Small Heat sink generally being big enough to disperse the heat from one SSR mounted on it, and the Large Heat sink being big enough to disperse the heat from two to four SSRs mounted on it. Generally speaking, the more elements you are controlling, the larger heat sink you want.

What is the difference between the Stainless Steel Float Switch and the Plastic Float Switch?

What is the PowerSwitch Tail II Relay Power Control used for?


Can you make a custom nameplate for my brewery?

Yes, we can. We have a laser engraver that will allow you to customize your enclosure with a directly engraved logo, or we can engrave a nameplate that you can mount to your enclosure.

What is the difference between the DIY kit and the Complete kit?

The DIY kit is a basic kit that allows you to customize your build. It is designed for those who want to be more freeform, but want the reliability of our parts in a kit that gives them the backbone and essentials of what you will need for your control panel. Our Complete kits are for those who want to build their enclosures in the same mold as us here at Electric Brewing Supply. With these kits, along with our Complete Wiring Guide, you will have the same hardware we use when we create our complete assembled control panels. The Complete kits even come with the enclosure.

Do you sell kettles? Do you ever plan on selling kettles?

We don’t sell kettles, and aren’t likely to ever directly sell kettles. We have worked with many companies in the brewing world, and we can recommend excellent businesses to buy quality kettles from if you would like guidance.

What type of warranty do you offer on your control panels? What about parts?

Can I send you my parts from another company and have you build my control panel for me?

Unfortunately we do not offer this service at this time. To keep our build process streamlined and fast, we work only with our own parts. This allows us to offer such fast turnaround times on builds, and to ensure a high quality finished product.

I already have my own PID. Can I use mine instead of your PIDs?

For our assembled control panels, we do not allow substitutions to ensure the best quality and manufacturing speed. For kits, please contact us and we’ll discuss a discount on the kit pricing for not sending the PID. Please be aware that we cannot offer support for PIDs that we don’t sell.

I am not proficient in electricity. Can you design my system for me?

We have created several different designs that will fit a variety of brewing needs. But, we understand that sometimes there will be features or setups that we don’t have a design created to accommodate. If, after checking the customization options on our control panels, you can’t find a control panel that meets your needs, you can feel free to reach out to us with your needs via our contact us links. Due to the complexities of creating custom designs, our ability to design a system for you will be decided on a customer by customer basis. In addition, if we are able to accommodate your needs, the build time will often be significantly longer for custom control panels due to the extra time needed to design and test.

Do you donate to brewing competitions?

Reach out to us using our contact us email for more information about this.

Do you offer wholesale pricing?

Yes! Contact us for more information.

Does the 1/3m Din rail, 1m pkg come with 1 piece or 3 pieces?

The 1/3m DIN rail, 1m pkg is a total of one meter of DIN rail, cut into three one third meter pieces.

Do you have instructions on how to build my own elements and control panel?

Absolutely! Right here on our Learn site, you can find instructions under the Guides tab.

What is the difference between the inline and the center inlet Chugger pumps?

How do I mount my panel?

Each enclosure has four bolt holes on the back for use with mounting. We leave the specifics of mounting your control panel up to you and your personalized brew space.

Do you make custom tags?

Yes! While we have a large selection of standard panel tags, we also offer the option to create custom tags for your unique panel. In addition to custom tags to label your LEDs and switches, we also offer custom nameplates to add your brewing logo, or whatever else you might want to have us engrave.

Can I buy wire from you?

Yes! We sell the same high quality wire that we use in our builds.

I would rather have a hard copy of the wiring guide. Where can I get one and do you charge for it?

We sell hard copies of our wiring guide on our site. You can do a search for “wiring guide” or find it under the DIY Kits category. We do charge for it, to cover our printing costs.

You forgot an item that I ordered/my kit is missing a part/you sent the wrong part. What should I do?

So sorry for the mistake! Please contact us via email or phone to let us know, and we will correct the error.

I have two 10 gallon Blichmann kettles with boil coils. Given they have L6-30 plugs they should work fine with the 30a PID control panel, 2 elements. Am I on the right track?